SUMMARY: The following experience was a classic used car salesman tactic of promising things just to make the sale. Car was delivered 7 months and 22 days after they got their money and it still had major issues and serious evidence of “putting lipstick on a pig” (a rhetorical term generally used in reference to someone who’s trying to make cosmetic or superficial changes on himself that clearly doesn’t deceive anyone)
February 1, 2017 – Discovered the car in eBay for $31,500
Decided to contact them directly to see of we can work things out. Spoke to Kevin Fielder. Gave them a $500 deposit to hold the car.
February 6, 2017 – Monday flew up and rented a car and drove to see the car. When I arrived we test drove the car. It ran out of gas, Kevin called someone to bring gas. Discussed options, upgrades, and items to complete restoration:
- AC Heating: $3,500 (done but didn’t work when delivered)
- Upgraded Radio (the cheapest radio they could find. It would constantly scan frequencies)
- Horn (They didn’t fix)
- Tire rubbing (They didn’t fix)
- Rattle (They didn’t fix)
- Brakes (They didn’t fix)
- Steering wheel (They didn’t fix)
- Headlight motors (completed)
- Wipers (completed)
- Seat belts (completed)
- Rear view mirror (completed)
- Alignment (who knows, probably not)
- Window tinting (this was not included and I would pay for it) (they never got back to me)
Agreed upon $37,000 plus $1,000 for car transport
March 3, 2017 – Called Kevin to confirm they had the vehicle and price
Wired them the money then they completely stopped communicating with me on when I can expect the car to be done and shipped. Resorted to sending emails and faxes on the following dates:
- Email on 03/03/17 @ 11:07am – no response
- Email on 03/13/17 @ 12:03pm – no response
- Email on 03/29/17 @ 7:49am – no response
- Email on 04/11/17 @ 7:28am – no response
- Faxed on 04/11/17 @ 10:58am – no response
- Faxed on 04/11/17 @ 3:41pm – no response
- Email on 04/11/17 @ 4:29am – no response
- Email on 04/20/17 @ 11:03am – no response
- Faxed on 04/20/17 @ 12:00pm – no response
- Faxed on 04/21/17 @ 6:55am – no response
- Email on 04/21/17 @ 8:42am. Kevin Fielder responded @ 10:58am
- Email on 04/25/17 @ 10:43am – no response
- Faxed on 04/25/17 @ 1:22pm – no response
- Faxed on 04/26/17 @ 8:05am – no response
- Faxed on 04/26/17 @ 8:07am – no response
- Email on 04/26/17 @ 9:15am – no response
- Faxed on 04/26/17 @ 6:16pm – no response
- Email on 04/27/17 @ 9:07am. Tom Benick responded @ 11:12am
- Faxed on 04/27/17 @ 10:09am
There were number phone calls that I made between the dates above
Had to get a local attorney involved, James Divella, to help me get North Shore Classics to move.
Supposedly when they worked on the car
Wednesday, October 25, 2017 (236days or 7 months 22 days later)
Camaro was finally delivered. So excited, drove it around the block and filled up with gas.
Car stalled on the way home on 85 and had to be towed home.
Found a local guy, Miles Barber, to work on the car to get it in running condition but failed… more on that below.
So many things wrong with the car when it was delivered. I certainly did not get what I paid for.
Things that Miles Barber found and had to repair to get it half way decent/running.
- Found that some of the spark plug connectors were loose which caused the car to randomly stall.
- Replaced the distributor
- New rotor, new wires and heat shields.
- Crank shield has damaged the harmonic balancer.
- Engine needed a PCV valve (serious blow by which probably caused the seal issue)
- Engine had bad wrist pin. You can hear it knocking when you adjust the idle down really low. (also probably caused by not having a pcv valve set up and the blow by)
- Wrist pin would be a complete engine rebuild. Drive it until it needs rod bearings
- The timing was set wrong so the wires don’t fit right. Reset timing. Very sloppy work from NSC
- New carb (the one they put in was an old piece of junk)
- Accelerator sticking
- New wire harness. NSC chopped things up and had the starter remote wire run to the distributor hot lead. Had to cut the run temp wires to get it to the shop.
- It had an oil leak
- Had to put a switch in to make the back up lights work.
- Installed a parking brake
- Rewired the ac directly into the main harness, it was wired into the fron of the suffuse box.
- Installed courtesy lights under the dash and dome light
- Installed a different alternator because the one that was in there is externally regulated and the new harness doesn’t support that because they are low amperage and not enough to handle any aftermarket add on features, ac, etc.
- They used a small black alternator bracket that they bent and fabricated to hold the alternator. The new alternator is tearing up the belts. Had to put the old brackets back on
- AC hoses had to be remade. Evidence again they did not do this car correctly
- Had to run new fuel line
From Miles Barber:
Text conversation between Miles and I: